Why do we purge in January? I don’t know why the urge doesn’t hit in March or July or October. But here we are, second week of January and blogs are practically exploding all over the web with de-cluttering resolutions, organizational insight and the urge to purge. People are even purging their bodies of toxins and an over-indulged holiday of gluttony. Ah yes, January is de-tox month.
So, what are you cleaning up?
Are you attacking a closet or a storage room? Are you on a mission to figure out how you got to this point of having more stuff than you know what to do with? That’s where I’m at. So, in lieu of making resolutions I’m making a list of things to purge and clean out. I am planning on moving soon. Like, sooner than later would be GREAT! But in the mean time, I have decided that there’s no point in moving all of the things we have. Because, well, we have TOO. MANY. THINGS!!
Here’s where I’m starting:
- Clean out pantry and get rid of stuff we never eat. Actually, I’m trying to bake and cook my way through most of the pantry this month to cut down on my grocery bill as well as use up what we have. I’m also going to move a lot of my dry goods into jars~ something I’ve wanted to do for years. Here’s a great blog that has some good tips on what to store in your pantry: http://www.simplebites.net/9-foods-to-stock-in-your-pantry-in-2012/
- I’m going to clean out my dishes. I have so many that I never use and then I have too many that we use which clogs up the dishwasher way too often. I’m pretty sure we don’t need 40 cups in rotation on any given day. And I’m also very fine with not using 3 complete place settings of dishes. At least one has to go.(There’s 6 of us in our family plus we have to be prepared for company but I’m done with these 6 piece place settings that I’ve had for 10+ years)
- Time to clean out linens. I try to do this regularly anyways but somehow the closet has become the dumping ground for any piece of cloth that people don’t know what to do with. Tablecloths of varying sizes, colors and fabrics are overtaking needed space for sheets. Which reminds me~ we need sheets!! I’ve been using the same ones for 20 years and they are thread-bare!
- Books! Oh dear. It’s such a love of mine but we just can’t keep accumulating books. I’m actually going to be doing a book giveaway starting this next week. Watch for details because I have some really GOOD ones!
- Digital photos~ now, while these may not take up physical space , they’re clogging up the memory on my hard drive. I have folders that are mis-labeled, photos from the past 6 years all on CD or some sort of memory drive and I’m losing track of where they all are. I fear this will be a several-month long project. But, I am committed to deleting. Yes. DELETING. I have multiple shots of the same thing, some good, others not. It’s time to pare down the folders to a more manageable state. That, plus I’d like to see them for a change and so I need to get them on my digital picture frame. Once this is done, time to make some photo books. This is one of my major goals for 2012~ actually have published, tangible photos to hold and look at.
Okay, well, that’s enough. There will be more added to this list but I have to start here. My pantry is calling and the spices need some TLC!