It’s day 7 of my 31 Days to Redeeming Christmas and I don’t know about you but I am feeling challenged, inspired and so motivated to redeem our Christmas this year from the usual commercialized chaos that we have all come to know and hate.
I’m loving your comments on Facebook, Twitter and the blog itself! You guys are the ones giving me the ideas and pushing me forward.
Today is Sunday and I’m taking a break to be with my family. It is Canadian Thanksgiving and that means turkey, stuffing and PIE! But it also means a bit of reflection on the past year and how far we’ve come. I really will sit down one of these days and re-cap what has happened with our move, the lack of finances due to our acreage STILL not being sold and how life has changed.
But for today, let’s look back on what we’ve learned about how we can redeem Christmas. If we’re going to do this, we have to know why we’re doing it and what our goals are for our families.
1. Let’s call out the lies that we tell ourselves~December 25 is NOT Jesus’ birthday and getting gifts does NOT make or break Christmas.
2.Get rid of Wish-Lists unless you’re wishing something good for someone else. Perpetuating a cycle of want and excess is what’s driving the stress and commercialism of the season. So let’s all stop it.
3. You don’t have to give gifts to anyone, ever. If giving isn’t fun, don’t do it. And when you give, give extravagantly and ridiculously.
4. If you really want to redeem Christmas, you will need to unbalance your calendar in favour of giving, serving and being the hands and feet of Jesus. You will need to sacrifice your time, home, comfort and money to do it.
5. Kindness-Bombing…taking your group or family to the streets and making a BIG IMPACT and BIG SHOW of generosity.
6. Be a light in your community. Literally. Don’t be afraid to light up our house, your doorway, your tree. These are dark days and lights make people happy. You are a light, so show it off!
How do you feel? Inspired? Ready for week #2? It’s going to be all about creative, redeeming gift giving! I can’t wait!!
Happy Thanksgiving. I am so thankful for all of you precious people who read my little corner of the ‘net. You bless me. ❤
Click HERE to get caught up on all of the 31 Days to Redeeming Christmas posts.