Day 8~Sincerity and an Apology

Earlier today I posted about being insincere. I deleted most of it and reworked it to say what I actually mean. You see, I screw up too and I don’t have this figured out yet either.

I unfairly picked on “Happy Birthday” when in fact it’s truly an act of manners and politeness.  So I’m sorry.  And no, I don’t analyze people’s intent when they say Happy Birthday to me.

BUT, I also feel that it is just as sincere to NOT say Happy Birthday if someone isn’t feeling it.  Truthfully, I get maybe 25% of my friend list sending me birthday greetings and I think that’s pretty typical. Do I think the other 75% of the people are lame or rude? Nope.  Doesn’t bother me a bit. But I am thankful for those who do comment.

The truth is, I have had some very negative experiences on Facebook with family members and friends who rarely comment to me directly but have been disingenuous with a comment and then gossiped, lied and been passive-aggressive with me and my information.

This has, unfortunately, happened to me on several occasions and therefore I have become extra vigilant about being real, sincere, and also intentional with my comments and posts.  I suppose that negative experiences drive me to warn others more than positive experiences motivate me to encourage at times.  For that, I apologize.

It’s really hard to gauge someone’s sincerity online if you don’t know them offline. 

facebook incinere

I just love a good back and forth conversation. I love the silly moments and the fun that Facebook has brought into our lives. I love connecting and conversing.  I like dissecting situations and analyzing books, scripture, relationships and words with friends via my inbox.  To me, these are the advantages of Facebook above all others. I just don’t have the time, patience or energy for someone chiming in with a glib, tasteless, inappropriate, or clueless comment.

Be sincere. Be present. Be intentional.

Proverbs 27:9

Just as lotions and fragrance give sensual delight,
    a sweet friendship refreshes the soul.

For all of the posts in this series , click here: 31 Days 2013 Facebook 101

For my series on Redeeming Christmas from Last year’s 31 Days , click HERE. 

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Day 8~Sincerity and an Apology

  1. I disagree with the Happy Birthday comment. I do wish people a happy birthday sincerely. Even if I am not their closest friend, or even if I don’t usually comment on their stuff. But if I see that it is someones birthday, I want them to have a good birthday. Everyone deserves a Happy Birthday. I mean it. I think everyone deserves a Happy Birthday. That might be the only recognition that day. ( and I doubt that anyone is ever lying when they say “Happy Birthday”, if you feel that ill towards them you would say nothing) So wish people a Happy Birthday. It is good manners
    In terms of the pray request, I think you are getting caught up in semantics. I don’t think you have to literally start praying that second if you say will pray for someone. You are just saying you will pray. And if you have ever been on the other side of a crisis you know how much those prays matter. You need to know that you are not in the battle alone. In a way facebook is the new prayer chain. So don’t hesitate to let people know that you are praying, they need to hear it.

  2. I can’t imagine a time when I felt that someone saying Happy Birthday and were not sincere. I think a simple Happy Birthday on Facebook is A-OK. And if someone wants to wish me ‘the best birthday ever’ then I will take that too. I do agree with you however on the ‘say a prayer’ posts. What some of these people are asking for in prayers is way out of line….in my opinion!

    • Paula, I agree too. You’re right. I edited this post. I quickly typed out without taking a step back and considering what I was saying and for that I apologize. Sometimes I don’t say what I want to say or should say. It’s a process!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s